About the Coalition of State Horse Councils
Justine Staten, KS
Brandi Ebner, OR
Tom Tweeten, MN
Sarah Coleman, KY
Bill Scebbi, CO
Who We Are
The largest grassroots horse network in the country.
The Coalition of State Horse Councils (CSHC) provides state horse councils and similar organizations with a moderated platform on which to share news regarding equine health and regulatory issues, transportation, recreation and trails, welfare, shows and competitions that may impact equine ownership, business or travel, within a state and nationally.
The CSHC also provides member organizations with operational support by assistance with best practices, bylaws, budgets and fundraising ideas.
The CSHC is committed to helping state horse councils increase their public awareness and to communicating the positive impacts the horse industry brings to local, state, regional and national economies.
State Horse Councils originally formed a union in the 1970’s as a committee of the American Horse Council and was known over the years as the State Horse Council Advisory Committee (SHCAC). Strong leadership in those early years included Carol Alm, Dr. Karyn Malinowski, and Dr. Jerry Walker, to name a few.
While these chairs sustained the states in a cohesive unit, the SHCAC did not have a real sense of direction regarding their role and purpose. The SHCAC generally operated on a 1-to-2-year plan and reacted to current issues as they occurred.
At the June 2009 meeting of the State Horse Council Advisory Committee, a new purpose, a new direction, and along with that, a new name – the Coalition of State Horse Councils (CSHC) were adopted. The State Horse Council Advisory Committee (SHCAC) was officially renamed the Coalition of State Horse Councils (CSHC) in January of 2010.
The Coalition of State Horse Councils seeks to:
- Initiate a grassroots movement
- Foster leadership development within state horse councils
- Encourage sound management practices
- Provide regular communications regarding equine related issues and concerns
- Generating ideas and solutions for peer support
- Interact with all state horse councils
- Monitor equine issues that may influence our industry
- Develop grassroots legislative involvement & awareness
- Provide leadership development workshops
- Interact with legislators as a cohesive group, as well as on a state-by-state basis
- Promote sound ideas that have positive effect on our industry
- Initiate positive public awareness
- Address the needs of our industry
- Provide leadership both at the state and national levels
- Encourage memberships in the Coalition of State Horse Councils and the American Horse Council
Who are the CSHC members?
Currently, state horse councils that have a current membership (dues paid) with the American Horse Council are considered members of the Coalition of State Horse Councils, but we invite and welcome ALL state horse councils to participate in meetings (Zoom & in person) and to maintain communication with us!
CSHC Current News
AHC modifies 2021 Annual Meeting
Due to continued concerns for the health and safety of all members, industry partners, volunteer leaders, staff and other stakeholders during the COVID-19 pandemic, the American Horse Council (AHC) announced today that the 2021 Annual Meeting that was scheduled to...
Fall Coalition Zoom Meeting
We are looking forward to attending the American Horse Council Meetings next week. There will be a great deal of conversation on important issues in our Equine Community. The AHC staff has done a great job in putting together a meaningful program. The Coalition...
AHC’s National Issues Forum Moves to Virtual Event for 2020
(June 15, 2020; Washington, DC) - After much deliberation, and in consultation with AHC members regarding their travel concerns due to the pandemic, AHC's Annual Meeting & National Issues Forum originally scheduled for June 7-10, 2020 and postponed to October...